Monday, November 01, 2010

San Francisco Giants Win World Series!

The San Francisco Giants won the 2010 World Series tonight, defeating the Texas Rangers 3 - 1 in game 5.

In recent times, when the Giants made the playoffs or even the World Series, they seemed a fragile affair, an unlikely, star-crossed champion for whom anything could and probably would go wrong, and at the worst possible moment.  In this World Series, however, I did not have that feeling.  The Giants seemed tough as nails, no BS automatons, an unemotional ball-batting and pitching machine, cold-blooded, resolute and unstoppable.

This was the first Giants World Series win in 56 years and the first ever since moving to San Francisco from New York in 1958.  I have waited for this victory since 1962, when the Giants lost to the Yankees in the 9th inning of the 7th game.  I was 17 years old.  Forty-eight years is a long time to wait, but the waiting has ended.  The San Francisco Giants are World Champions.

I love Texas and admire the Rangers.  My parents and older brother were all born in Texas.  My great grandfather, a Confederate veteran of the Civil War, is buried there, as is my decorated uncle who took part in the invasion of Normandy (on D-Day + 1).  Many other relatives are buried there as well. Two of my favorite cousins live there.  I would have been born there had not the Axis started World War II, and I am still mightily pissed off at being denied the honor.  (My father was sent to New Mexico to train air corps flyers on how to use the Norden bombsight, and I was born in Carlsbad.)

For these reasons, I wish the Rangers well.  May they soon win a World Series and more in the future.  However, 2010 belongs to us, the Giants players and fans, and we could not be denied.
Giants History:
The Giants baseball team has played in 18 World Series and won six of them, in 1905, 1921, 1922, 1933, 1954 and 2010.

The Giants played in the World Series 18 times:  1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1962, 1989, 2002, and 2010.

4 comments:

LandShark 5150 said...

Stoogie - Congrats to the Giants and their fans. My home team Rangers fell to a class act, one deservingly of the title "The World Champions". I wish for their continued success and a re-match come next season.
Again - Congrats!!

Stogie said...

Thanks Landshark. (Stogie is spelled with only one o).

birdbrain said...

What many people do not realize is that during presidential election years, the league that wins the World Series determines which party wins the White House.
The New York Times carried an article in October 1976 explaining that the Democrats win the White House if the National League wins the World Series and the Republicans win if the American League does.

Stogie Chomper said...

Birdbrain, your first mistake was reading anything that is printed in the New York Times.